Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Last Month & a Half Catch-up Cont'd

So, it's been more than a few days. Work's been pretty busy, had thank you notes to send out and haven't been sleeping well at night. Got to love nighttime leg cramps. :) I believe this is another pregnancy symptom.

Anyway, after we got back from San Diego, we headed up to Alaska three days later. We were going up to celebrate my grandma's 80th birthday. My grandpa turned 80 last year and we made the same trip to celebrate his 80th as well. In fact, in November, we'll be traveling to Eugene, Oregon for John's grandma's 80th birthday. Anyway, back to our trip.

We flew up to Anchorage on Thursday evening...late. We typically stay with Maria (my younger sister) and Josh and I love it because we get to see the boys and it was fun to have Mateo come find us Friday morning. Maria had us all up very early to travel to Sterling (Kenai Peninsula). It only takes 2.5 hours but Maria and Josh were going to go fishing with my uncle as soon as they got there. Thankfully, it was a beautiful sunny drive down and we got to enjoy the sunshine for two days while we were in Alaska. Unfortunately, it seems that when we visit in the summer it always rains for us and typically stops for a half a day the day we are leaving.

Anyway, it was great to see my grandparents and Mom and Mindy (my littlest sister). Friday afternoon we spent some time with Grandpa, Mindy and a old friend of my uncle's. We went down to where Maria, Josh and Uncle Rich were fishing. Unfortunately, we didn't see them and got an earful of some horrible live music. It is funny when I think about it. Anyway, the rest of the day was very relaxing.
Me & My Grandpa
Mindy & Me

Noah being silly and very cute!

Noah, a very willing participant in Aunt Mindy feeding him!
Noah giving the camera the stink eye (not really but a very funny picture)!
The next day was Grandma's celebration but there wasn't a lot of stuff to get ready. Saturday's event was perfect and we got to visit with more family (one more uncle and aunt, cousins, old family friend of my mom). I had some tasty fresh grilled salmon. It's one of the few things I miss about Alaska...free access to the plentiful seafood, especially salmon. I'm posting some pictures from the day that will better illustrate our trip to my grandparents. I always enjoy staying and visiting with them. I feel very fortunate to have two such wonderful grandparents.

Mateo following Great-Grandpa


Grandma playing Chicken Croquet (seriously...)
Great-Grandma (and Great-Grandpa in the corner) spending time with great-grandkids!

Birthday Girl!
My cutie husband! I love it when he really smiles for the camera! Rare!

Mateo being cute with his flower in his chair! Nice hair, Mateo! (inside joke for Maria):D

Noah cutely playing with his nose!

All of us girls!
Three M&Ms (in birth order, me, Maria & Mindy..also clockwise starting at me)
Maria & Me
We traveled back to Anchorage with the Cross Family (Josh, Maria & the boys) and stayed with them until we left on Wednesday. We had a blast relaxing, visiting, playing with the boys. On Monday, Mateo took all of us (including Aunt Mindy) to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. It's a center that rehabilitates wild Alaskan animals like brown/black bears, moose, caribou, porcupines. Definitely good photo ops.

Mateo trying to keep his make-shift britches up (long story)!
The Cross family checking out a moose.
Maria & Noah!
Uncle John & Mateo
Aunt Mindy (always with a camera), Mateo & Josh at lunch

Me & John (we don't often get a real perspective shot of us!)
The next day, my mom, Mindy and Maria & Josh hosted our baby shower for our Alaska family and friends. It was great to see some old faces that we hadn't seen since we've left. I really enjoyed my shower. The food was great and the company was very enjoyable. Thank you, Josh, Maria, Mindy and Mom, for hosting our shower.

My mom & Maria's house decorated for our shower!
Two types of cupcakes served at the shower (loins, tiger, monkeys & zebras)
Granny & Mateo eating some yummy food!

Maria & Mom

Mateo & His Daddy
One of the cute outfits we received as a gift.
I love John's expressions in these pictures! He was a good sport!


I came to a conclusion the morning we were leaving. I know I'm having a good time when I don't miss home until the day we are leaving. I love my family very much and wish they lived closer.
John & his aunt, Lois

John's Aunt Lois & Cousin Cherie
Oh, well...maybe some day. Washington is a big and diverse state. Something for everyone...hint, hint!

I'll wrap up this post and started on my last one. It's all about the first day we got back and primarily about baby and my pregnancy updates.

1 comment:

granny said...

John and Melissa
Thank you for sharing and what a wonderful job on your blog.
love granny (mom)